Baked Chicken Taquitos
These simple and delicious baked chicken taquitos are sure to wow your family and friends. They’re quick, flavorful and delicious!
These chicken taquitos are fantastic.
They were simple to prepare, came together quickly and are much healthier than the fried variety.
They reminded me a little bit of the Crispy Chicken Wraps, mostly in the ease of preparation and use of pre-cooked shredded chicken with a creamy, cheesy base.
The flavor of the taquitos is simple and delicious without a lot of spiciness and heat.
These are definitely going on our meal rotation – my kids loved the crispiness of the tortillas and my husband though they were awesome, too. Quick, delicious and definitely worth making!
What To Serve With This:
Served with a light green salad and some fresh fruit and veggies (or perhaps this delicious fruit concoction) and this is a perfectly perfect meal for any night of the week!
Baked Chicken Taquitos
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup green salsa
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 green onion, sliced finely (white and green parts to equal about 2 tablespoons)
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 cup grated monterey jack or pepper jack cheese
- 14-16 small yellow or white corn tortillas
- Kosher salt
- Cooking spray
- Heat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil and lightly coat with cooking spray.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix softened cream cheese, green salsa, lime juice, cumin, chili powder, onion powder and garlic powder. Stir to combine and then add cilantro and green onions. Add chicken and cheese and combine well.
- You can prepare this step ahead of time (which I did – I made it the morning of). Just keep the mixture in the fridge.
- Working with a few tortillas at a time, place 3-4 between two damp paper towels and microwave for 30-45 seconds, until tortillas are soft and pliable and don’t crack while rolling. Place 2-3 tablespoons of the chicken mixture on the lower third of a soft tortilla, keeping it about 1/2 inch from the edges. Roll up tightly (but not so tight that the tortilla cracks).
- Place filled taquitos seam side down on the baking sheet, making sure they don’t touch each other. When ready to bake, spray the tops lightly with cooking spray or an oil mister and lightly sprinkle some kosher (coarse) salt on top.
- Place pan in oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until crisp and the ends start to get golden brown. Serve immediately. Taquitos can be dipped in in salsa, sour cream, guacamole, or any other combination you can dream up (my kids liked ranch dressing – go figure).
Recipe Source: adapted from Our Best Bites