Baked Orange-Glazed Meatballs
This baked orange-glazed meatballs, baked in mini muffin tins are the next great orange-glazed thing! You’ve got to try them!
Since orange chicken is right up there as one of Brian’s favorite meals in the history of ever, I suppose it was only a matter of time until something else orange-glazed arrived at the dinner table (and in the interest of full disclosure, he loves, loves, loves the stuff at Panda Express, even if I do not, and since we’ve lived many years without it until just recently, he’s been reunited and it feels so good).
The next great orange-glazed thing just happens to be meatballs.
They are quick and simple and terribly delicious. Plus, I learned a trick that makes me want to make meatballs every single day of my life. Bake them in a mini muffin tin.
Brilliant, right? Not only do they hold their shape, but they are a bit smaller than I’d probably normally make them and are just plain adorable. You know, if meatballs cared about being adorable.
Of course you don’t have to use a mini muffin tin (see the notes in the recipe) but if you have that type of pan, you should try it because it could bring you a lot of happiness like it did to me. Simple pleasures.
The meatballs are tender. The orange sauce is flavorful. The combination is delicious.
Baked Orange Glazed Meatballs
- 1 ½ pounds ground turkey (see note)
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs, panko, homemade, or storebought
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 cloves garlic, about 2 teaspoons, finely minced or pressed through a garlic press
- 1-2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger (see note)
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 green onions, white and green parts finely chopped
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- ½ tablespoon fresh orange zest
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 clove garlic, about 1/2 – 1 teaspoon finely minced or pressed through a garlic press
- 1 ¼ tablespoons cornstarch
- Preheat the oven to 475 degrees and lightly grease a mini muffin tin (see note above if you don’t have that kind of pan).
- For the meatballs, combine all the meatball ingredients together in a large bowl and mix until combined (you might need to just get your hands in there and go to town).
- Shape the meatball mixture into small balls, a couple tablespoons each, and place into the prepared mini muffin tin. The meatballs will shrink down a bit while baking.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until cooked through.
- Immediately (but carefully) spoon the meatballs out of the tin and onto a layer of paper towels to drain any excess grease (you may not need to do this if the meat was extra lean).
- For the glaze, whisk together all the ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring often. Cook until thickened. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the meatballs with the glaze (either poured over the meatballs or served separately for each person to drizzle on as they like).
Recipe Source: inspired and adapted from this recipe at Just a Taste (altered a few ingredients in the meatball recipe and created a simple, homemade orange glaze instead of using orange marmalade)