Pumpkin Cream Sandwiches
These homemade pumpkin cream sandwiches are lightly sweet and perfectly soft with fantastic pumpkin flavor and the luxurious filling stuffed between is divine.
Whoever discovered that pumpkin and cream cheese make one of the most stellar combinations on the face of the planet should be awarded some great medal or a lifetime of pumpkin cookies sandwiched with cream cheese filling at the very least.
I love, love, love pumpkin and cream cheese together and these pudgy sweet sandwiches are probably my favorite pumpkin/cream cheese combo yet.
The cookies are lightly sweet and perfectly soft with fantastic pumpkin flavor.
The filling? Oh, the filling. It’s like falling headfirst into luxurious clouds of sweetened whipped cream and cream cheese.
Piled in between the spiced layers of pumpkin cookie and the whole thing is divine. Just divine.
I’m pretty sure pumpkin pie and pumpkin muffins and pumpkin pasta and pumpkin whatever can just take a hike because I’ve decided I’m just going to love on these pumpkin cream sandwiches and these pumpkin cream sandwiches alone for the rest of the fall/pumpkin season thankyouverymuch.
One Year Ago: Caramel Apple Cider Floats
Two Years Ago: Peanut Butter Texas Sheet Cake
Three Years Ago: Caramel Apple Cheesecake Bars with Streusel Topping
Pumpkin Cream Sandwiches
- 3 tablespoons (43 g) salted butter, softened to room temperature
- ⅓ cup (71 g) packed light brown sugar
- ¼ cup (53 g) granulated sugar
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup (142 g) all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- ⅛ teaspoon allspice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces (227 g) cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup (57 g) powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar with a handheld electric mixer (or in the bowl of an electric stand mixer) until the mixture is smooth. Add the pumpkin, vanilla and egg and mix until well combined.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices and salt. Add the flour mixture to the pumpkin mixture and beat on low speed until combined.
- Scoop out heaping tablespoons of the dough onto parchment or silpat-lined baking sheets, spacing them about 2 inches apart (I put about 6 per baking sheet). Bake for 10-12 minutes until the cookies are puffed and baked through. Remove the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the cream filling, in a large bowl, beat together the softened cream cheese and heavy whipping cream for 1-2 minutes until well combined and starting to thicken. Add the vanilla and powdered sugar and continue beating until the filling is thick and fluffy and smooth.
- Match up the cookies according to similar size and shape. Spread half the cooled cookies with the cream mixture (load it on there!) and top with the remaining cookies.
- Store in the refrigerator until serving.
Recipe Source: adapted from an old Real Simple magazine from 2007